Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Do as the Japanese do...

I was shocked, no, HORRIFIED when I was instructed (verbally as well as in written form) by Neesa chan's sensei to bring a pair of shorts and a set of yukata to school. What??? Shorts?? In winter???

And Yukata?? Isn't Yukata worn ONLY in summer??


She coolly informed me that there will be a "happyoukai", literally translated as presentation, this Friday. Neesa chan and the rest of the children will put up few performances for the parents in school.

They will re-live their Bon Odori dance (which was done last Summer) among others, during the so-called mini concert. . Well, that explains the yukata. But what about the shorts??? It's less than 10 degrees now!

When I asked about the shorts, her sensei said that it will only be worn next month-for the jumping rope competition.What???That's even worse since the competition will be done outdoor!

Maybe I was wrong.... Maybe I heard her wrongly...Maybe I misunderstood her... So,I decided to consult MY sensei. I told him all about my worries. He too was stunned. But only on the part of the yukata. The shorts issue is nothing. It's normal. Yeah, the jumping rope competition is being done ONLY in winter. And of course the children have to wear their shorts. How else would they be dressed? That is the most appropriate attire for that kind of activity.Full stop.

Sensing my fear, he later told me about a Japanese proverb -"Kodomo wa kaze no ko". Can't really translate that to English, but the meaning is something like- Children are supposed to play outside in the cold weather. This cruel act will train their body to adjust to the cold weather and make them stronger-physically,mentally and spiritually. Ouch! No wonder the Japanese can endure pain and persevere! They are trained from young! That explains the 'gambarimas' spirit...

That reminds me of the loooong walk Neesa chan had to endure twice a year from her school to the Kagamiyama Koen ( a total of 5km to and fro the park) The torturous walk (especially for a 3-year-old-brat from Malaysia who loves to sit on her stroller) does not only train them to be strong and independent but also promotes discipline and perseverance.

Hmmmphh.. I guess I have to follow another Japanese saying- "A portruding nail needs to be hammered down". Since Japanese people are obsessed with the idea of conformity and uniformity, I can't let Neesa chan sticks out like a nail waiting to be hammered down...

Gambatte Neesa chan!
p/s:I just hope that she will not catch a cold...

1 comment:

Syed Hamzah said...

Need my elmo lover back here!!